Healthcare Software Development: How to Make It Work
April 4, 2023
Table of content
- What Is Clinic Software, and How Does It Work?
- Main Stages of Healthcare Software Development
- Types of Apps for Healthcare Facilities
- What Trends Await the Healthcare Software Industry?
- How Much Does It Cost to Develop Software Solutions for Medical Institutions?
- Where to Order the Development of Software for Medical Institutions?
According to a report by Research and Markets, the revenue of the Healthcare service industry in 2022 was more than $7.5 billion. Experts also predict that by 2026, the volume of the global medical market could increase to $10.414 billion.
This active growth rate is due, among other things, to technological innovations, which are widely implemented in clinics, laboratories, and diagnostic and wellness centers.
At Perfsol, we closely follow the development of the healthcare industry and the impact of new technologies on it. Therefore, in this article, we will consider why healthcare institutions need advanced IT solutions, what trends await us in the future, and how to get innovative and reliable software.
What Is Clinic Software, and How Does It Work?
Healthcare software is a digital solution that provides a stable interaction between healthcare entities and consists of interconnected components. These include:
- Hospital Management Systems (HMS);
- knowledge bases;
- accounting systems;
- remote patient monitoring (RPM), and more.
A simple example of a hospital software component is an electronic medical record. A doctor records a medical history, examination results, treatment plan, etc. In turn, the patient can access their chart and view the information from a smartphone or computer anytime.
Healthcare system software solutions do more than simplify physician-patient interactions. They also establish connections between the hospital, staff, providers, partners, pharmacies, laboratories, and other institutions.
Let's take a look at the benefits of implementing digital solutions in this industry:
- Automation of routine processes. The computer will transfer personal data to other systems, send out appointment reminders to patients, auto-fill electronic forms, and create schedules for staff many times faster. The automated system also reduces the risk of human error when handling data.
- Optimization of work between clinic departments. For example, a unified system implemented in the clinic and laboratory simplifies the transfer of test results. The software lets you quickly add or update data in a patient's electronic medical record and notify the doctor when test results are ready.
- Maintaining reports and collecting analytics. Programs help collect and structure all incoming data in an easy-to-understand format. This feature helps improve patient care and the work environment for employees, as well as the development of effective marketing strategies.
Quality software provides more accurate data for physicians, allowing them to maintain high levels of patient care and improve treatment outcomes.
Main Stages of Healthcare Software Development
To get a smoothly running software solution covering the hospital's business needs, it is important to become familiar with the development process. It will also give a general idea of how to work with the IT team.
Custom healthcare software has the following steps:
- Gathering project requirements. At this stage, one gathers information about the systems already implemented in the medical organization. The terms of reference for programmers and designers are formed based on the customer's requirements and wishes for the future product.
- Prototyping. A prototype is created, which allows you to test the suitability of the concepts put forward and the feasibility of the designed architecture. It also checks the operability of the technological solutions used.
- UI/UX design and programming. This stage of the work includes designing a user-friendly interface and shaping the look and feel. A developer writes code for each component of the system.
- Testing and refining the software solution. Most developers use the practice of continuous testing in their work. Each part of the written code is tested and improved, and simultaneously the work with other components is in progress. This approach considerably reduces the time of the product release and favors the creation of high-quality and correctly working software.
- Deployment and further technical support. At this stage, the digital solution is prepared for operation and integrated into the IT infrastructure of the medical organization. IT specialists also develop updates to expand the product's functions in accordance with user requests.
While working on the project, the product's specific features, which depend on its type, are considered.
Types of Apps for Healthcare Facilities
Healthcare app is a program designed to simplify doctors' and administrators' jobs and make patient care more personalized.
Depending on the category of users, we divide such apps into several types:
- For clinic management and administrators. An app helps manage finances and data flow and collect customer service information.
- For doctors. Apps automate prescriptions and scheduling, as well as help track patient visits and get information from the nursing staff on time.
- For patients undergoing treatment. They provide the convenience of healthcare services: quick appointment booking, medical record review, push notifications with reminders about doctor's visits, and access to test results and treatment regimens.
- For people watching their health. Designed to help patients live a healthy lifestyle and monitor their diet as recommended by their doctors.
They also help monitor basic parameters such as pulse, temperature, blood pressure, etc.
Mobile apps for patients are designed to help them keep track of their health, and solutions for managers and staff are needed to increase productivity.
What Trends Await the Healthcare Software Industry?
The IT solutions market is constantly changing and actively developing. These changes are also reflected in the healthcare service industry, which entails new opportunities for patient care:
- Telemedicine. Remote monitoring of patients with the possibility of interactive patient care. Technology has become particularly widespread because of the worldwide pandemic of Covid-19. According to a McKinsey & Company study, more than 40% of consumers surveyed plan to continue using telemedicine. Therefore, introducing this technology will help attract more patients who want remote and personalized care.
- Blockchain. Technology that increases the security and transparency of data exchanges. It could save millions of dollars by minimizing the risk of leaks of health information and clinic personnel. Interest in blockchain is confirmed by a BIS Research report that predicts the value of blockchain in healthcare could rise to $5.61 billion by 2025.
- Artificial Intelligence. Technology that already allows for more accurate diagnoses and treatment plans. Statista said AI generated about $7 billion in revenue for the healthcare service industry in 2021. By comparison, in 2018, revenue reached only $2 billion.
- Internet of Medical Things (IoMT): smart watches, hearing aids, biological patches, and other things help doctors monitor patients in real-time. According to a report by InsightAce Analytic, the IoMT market was valued at $65.72 billion in 2022. Experts also forecast significant compound annual growth of 23.57% from 2023 to 2031. Therefore, the market is expected to reach over $357 billion by the end of 2031.
The introduction of innovative technologies helps to bring the healthcare industry to a new level of development. It has a positive impact on the effectiveness of the diagnosis and treatment of many diseases.
How Much Does It Cost to Develop Software Solutions for Medical Institutions?
The minimum cost of creating software for hospitals usually starts at $50,000 but can go up to $500,000 or more. Determining the budget at once is difficult because it will depend on many factors.
The cost of Healthcare Software Development is affected by:
- Type of development (cross-platform, native).
- The tech stack required for the development.
- The number of features to be implemented.
- The level of complexity of the project.
- The experience of the hired specialists.
- The deadline for implementing the project and so on.
To calculate an accurate budget, a specialist examines the existing software in the hospital, studies in detail the institution's activities, gets acquainted with the customer's requirements, and assembles a team of IT experts.
Where to Order the Development of Software for Medical Institutions?
Medical organization owners who need custom healthcare software can go three ways:
Get your own development team. This option is quite costly in terms of time and money. For example, the average developer's salary in the United States is about $95,000 yearly. If we add the cost of logistics and organization of workplaces, we get a large sum of money. Not every medical institution can afford it. The hospital owner will need to assemble an in-house team only if there are plans for long and uninterrupted work on improving and scaling software solutions.
Hire freelancers. Finding the right specialists at various freelance sites also takes time and effort. In addition, a digital solution for a hospital requires regular updates. After entering into a freelance partnership, the owner may have to look for specialists to keep the software up and running again in the future.
Hire an outsourcing company. This option has several key advantages for business owners:
Save time. An outsourcing company provides an already cohesive team with the right skills. Thus, IT specialists can immediately start working on the project without wasting time on organizational issues.
A smooth communication process. Such a team already has channels set up for stable communication between itself and with clients. In this case, the customer does not need to spend time and effort to ensure constant communication. In addition, well-established communication has a positive impact on the entire Healthcare Software Development process, as it helps to quickly resolve issues and problems that arise.
High development reliability. By engaging outsourcers, the customer can access the best talents worldwide who work with modern technology. This increases the chances of implementing high-quality and secure software for the clinic.
Favorable terms of cooperation. Hiring an outside team is more cost-effective for the business than creating an internal IT department. The outsourcer also takes care of selecting performers, organizing workplaces, providing logistics, paying salaries and sick pay, and drawing up a social package.
You can assemble a skilled team of programmers to create an effective and reliable digital product for the clinic by contacting Perfsol, an outsourcing IT company.
Need software that will take your medical facility to the next level? Contact our manager for an in-depth consultation on developing a successful digital solution.
I follow a proactive approach in life to solve simple to complex problems systematically. I fully understand the nexus of people, process, technology, and culture to get the best out of everyone at Perfsol to grow the businesses and deliver a societal impact at the national and global levels.
Why use custom healthcare software?Such software will help establish effective interaction between all departments of a medical facility, secure the transfer of confidential information, facilitate staff work, and improve patient care.
How much does it cost to develop software for medical organizations?The price for developing a software solution usually starts at $50,000. It is difficult to name the exact amount because it will depend on several factors: the type of system under development, the requirements for the technology stack, the number of necessary functions, deadlines, the need for mobile application development, etc.
How do I assemble a team to develop a digital solution for a clinic?You will get a ready team of experienced programmers by contacting an outsourcing agency. In addition, Persol's manager will select the most suitable candidates with the necessary skills and talents to work on your project.